Frequently Asked Questions
1. What time does the school day start and end?
School starts at 7:35 AM and students will be considered tardy if not in their classroom at that time. School ends at 2:50 PM.
2. How does being tardy affect my child?
When a student enters class after the teacher has begun instruction, he he/she misses out on instruction. Also, if a child has three tardies within a grading period, he/she will not be recognized for perfect attendance even though no absences have occurred.
3. How can I contact my child's teacher?
If you call during the teacher's conference time, you will be transferred directly to the classroom; if not, you can leave a message (voice mail or note in mailbox). You can also contact the teacher using email: Firstname.Lastname@pfisd.net
4. What should I do if my child is sick and/or misses school?
When your child returns to school, send a note indicating why he/she was absent. If your child is out more than 3 days, a doctor's note is required.
5. When does my child have to stay home from school when he/she is feeling ill?
- If a child has a fever of 100.4 degrees or higher.
- If a student is vomiting.
- If a student has diarrhea.
A child must be symptom free for at least 24 hours before returning to school without medication.
6. Can I eat lunch with my child?
Parents are always welcome to eat lunch with their child. You can bring a lunch or eat a school lunch. (Please note: If you plan to eat a school lunch, please let the teacher and/or cafeteria know, so they can adjust the lunch count.) ALL visitors must sign in at the office and obtain a visitor pass. Parents may only eat lunch with his/her own child.
7. Can my child pass out birthday invitations at school?
If your child includes every student in the classroom, invitations can be passed out at school.
8. Can I bring gifts, balloons, cupcakes, cookies, or cakes to school for my child’s birthday?
Gifts and balloons are NOT allowed in the classroom as these may cause a distraction to classroom learning. Cupcakes should be brought to share with the class. Please contact the teacher ahead of time to plan an appropriate time to pass cupcakes out. Cupcakes must be taken to the classroom teacher as these food items cannot be passed out in the cafeteria. The State of Texas does not allow Foods of Minimal Nutritional Value (FMNV) to be given to students during the lunch period. Cupcakes can be served after our last lunch period has ended, which is at 1 p.m.
9. What type of shoes does my child need for P.E.?
Students at ROES need to have closed-toe shoes for participation in our P.E. program (ex: athletic, tennis shoe, or sneaker). Students are very active during this time and need sturdy shoes to protect their feet. This requirement is a part of the PISD Dress Code.
10. I have questions about my child's bus, who do I contact?
You can contact Durham Bus Company at 594-0475, to address any of your concerns.
For Special Education transportation questions you may contact Janet Nolan at 594-0478.
11. How can I volunteer at River Oaks?
We love volunteers at River Oaks. Prior to volunteering you will need to complete a volunteer background check, which is available online: click here. The background check process takes up to two weeks so plan ahead by completing the application early this year. You must also complete this background check to attend student field trips.
There are many different ways to help out at River Oaks. Below you will find a few of the many possibilities.
Child’s classroom: Please contact your child’s teacher to set this up. Depending on the teacher’s needs you may be able to help prepare classroom materials, read to students, help in the computer lab, go on field trips, participate in class parties or help students practice their skills.
Other areas of the school: Our front office will be able to direct you to the appropriate staff members who oversee the various programs such as: Read Naturally, Math activities, Culture fair, Career day,, Spelling and Geography bees, the Book fair and many more!
PTO: To help with our PTO please contact Terri Rice (512) 767-3840.
12. How can I find out if the school will be closed due to bad weather?
1) All major television networks (Channels 7, 24, 36, 42 and news 8 Austin) will be notified of school closings.
2) The PISD's Public Information line will be utilized to announce school closings and emergency information. The number is (512) 594-0001.
3) Pflugerville ISD will post school closings on the website at www.pfisd.net.
4) Also, all Clear channels receive this information, these include KVET, KASE, KKMJ and KLBJ.