- Pflugerville High School
- Principal's Blog
Important Safety MessagePosted by Heike Cook on 2/20/2018
Dear PfISD Parents and Guardians:
We are reaching out to you once more, to ask for your support. As we have made you aware in recent days, PfISD administration and police have thoroughly investigated and responded to several threats of school violence. Some have been at specific campuses, and most recently a generic threat that originated on Snapchat and became viral.
Pflugerville ISD has invested in the Anonymous Alerts system, to facilitate reporting of any safety concerns. Sharing and discussing suspected threats on social media furthers public concern and fear. I am asking that each of you download the Anonymous Alerts app, and make the commitment to report concerns in this way – not through social media or passing along texts. The login and password are both “pfisd”.
You can rest assured that our administrators and police officers will continue to aggressively investigate all threats that are reported to us. In the event that a threat is deemed credible, you can be confident that every perpetrator of a terroristic threat will be disciplined to the fullest extent of the law and the Student Code of Conduct. Should a credible threat be identified, PfISD will continue to notify all parents and guardians from that campus.
We want to be very clear that Pflugerville ISD will absolutely not tolerate false threats being made. Even a false threat can be considered a “terroristic threat” under the Texas Penal Code §22.07, if it creates fear in a section of the general public. Students who are found to have made a false threat or report will be charged with Terroristic Threat, arrested, and recommended for mandatory placement at the District alternative education campus, The Provan Opportunity Center.
In closing, please remember:
- See something, say something.
- Help us minimize public fear by using Anonymous Alerts to report threats or concerns, not social media.
- Please download the Anonymous Alerts app, and make sure your child has done so. You may also use http://track.spe.schoolmessenger.com/f/a/Uyu9i-xl_xahDkbaDW2d_Q~~/AAAAAQA~/RgRcbZslP0QoaHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuYW5vbnltb3VzYWxlcnRzLmNvbS9wZmlzZC_CoFcHc2Nob29sbVgEAAAAAUIKAAKlZ4xakyj0sVIUaGVpa2UuY29va0BwZmlzZC5uZXQ~
- PfISD has no tolerance for terroristic threats; all students found to have made a terroristic threat will be prosecuted to the full extent of the law and Student Code of Conduct.
Estimados padres y tutores de PfISD:
Estamos en comunicación con usted una vez más, para pedir su apoyo. Como le hemos hecho saber en los últimos días, la administración y la policía de PfISD han investigado y respondido a varias amenazas de violencia escolar. Algunos han estado en escuelas específicas, y más recientemente una amenaza general que se originó en Snapchat y se convirtió en viral.
Pflugerville ISD ha invertido en el sistema de Alertas Anónimas, para facilitar la notificación de cualquier preocupación de seguridad. Compartir y discutir las amenazas sospechosas en las redes sociales fomenta la preocupación y el temor del público. Estoy pidiendo que cada uno de ustedes descargue la aplicación de Alertas Anónimas, y se comprometan a informar de sus preocupaciones de esta manera, no a través de las redes sociales o la transmisión de mensajes de texto. El usuario y la contraseña son "pfisd".
Puede estar seguro de que nuestros administradores y oficiales de policía continuarán investigando a fondo todas las amenazas que se nos han reportado. En el caso de que una amenaza se considere creíble, usted puede estar seguro de que todo perpetrador de una amenaza terrorista será disciplinado en la máxima medida de la ley y el Código de Conducta Estudiantil. Si se identifica una amenaza creíble, PfISD continuará notificando a todos los padres y tutores de esa escuela.
Queremos dejar muy claro que Pflugerville ISD no tolerará en absoluto que se hagan falsas amenazas. Incluso una amenaza falsa puede ser considerada una "amenaza terrorista" bajo el Código Penal de Texas §22.07, si crea temor en una sección del público en general. A aquellos estudiantes a quienes se encuentre que hayan hecho una amenaza o reporte falso serán acusados de Amenaza Terrorista, arrestados y recomendados para colocación obligatoria en la escuela de educación alternativa del Distrito, el Centro de Oportunidad Provan.
Para concluir por favor recuerde:
- Ver algo, decir algo.
- Ayúdenos a minimizar el temor público utilizando Alertas Anónimas, no las redes sociales.
- Descargue la aplicación Alertas Anónimas y asegúrese de que su hijo lo haya hecho. También puede utilizar http://track.spe.schoolmessenger.com/f/a/Uyu9i-xl_xahDkbaDW2d_Q~~/AAAAAQA~/RgRcbZslP0QoaHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuYW5vbnltb3VzYWxlcnRzLmNvbS9wZmlzZC_CoFcHc2Nob29sbVgEAAAAAUIKAAKlZ4xakyj0sVIUaGVpa2UuY29va0BwZmlzZC5uZXQ~
- PfISD no tolera las amenazas terroristas; todos los estudiantes que hayan hecho una amenaza terrorista serán enjuiciados de acuerdo con la ley y el Código de Conducta Estudiantil.
Pflugerville Independent School District would like to continue connecting with you via email. If you prefer to be removed from our list, please contact Pflugerville Independent School District directly. To stop receiving all email messages distributed through our SchoolMessenger service, follow this link and confirm: http://track.spe.schoolmessenger.com/f/a/fnP8Cff77OUbtD67IPkqlQ~~/AAAAAQA~/RgRcbZslP0RNaHR0cHM6Ly9nby5zY2hvb2xtZXNzZW5nZXIuY29tLyMvdW5zdWJzY3JpYmUvMjcxNS9hR1ZwYTJVdVkyOXZhMEJ3Wm1selpDNXVaWFFXB3NjaG9vbG1YBAAAAAFCCgACpWeMWpMo9LFSFGhlaWtlLmNvb2tAcGZpc2QubmV0
SchoolMessenger is a notification service used by the nation's leading school systems to connect with parents, students and staff through voice, SMS text, email, and social media.
Pfisd will have school on Monday, 2/19Posted by Heike Cook on 2/16/2018
Due school closure and delayed starts earlier in the year, all Pfisd schools will have classes on Monday, 2/19. This is a required, mandatory, day. All students are expected to attend. Monday will be an A day with Zero hour at 9 am and first period at 9:35 am. Busses will run as normal.
Thank you for your understanding....Posted by Heike Cook on 2/13/2018
While we at PHS understand that Valentine's Day is a wonderful way to suprise your student with flowers, chocolates, etc, we would like to take this opportunity to remind everyone that deliveries will not be accepted at the school.
Any treats, flowers, stuffed animals, etc. that are brought to the school by students will need to be stored in their locker or cars.
We are sorry for inconvenience but hope that you will understand that we are trying to minimize our distractions while at school.
Showing Off Our Panther Pride!Posted by Heike Cook on 2/12/2018 8:00:00 AM
This weekend the Advanced Art students competed in the UIL art competition. Please congratulate Jesse Jahen, Isabella Bradberry, Sarah Jordan, Juliette Black, Nam Thi Pham, Nicole Vasquez, and Jonathan Villarreal, for qualifying for area with their art pieces. Van-Go Panthers!
The Panther Speech and Debate Team has qualified three students to compete at the Texas Forensic Association State Meet to be Held at LaVernia High School on February 28th - March 3rd. The students are: Junior Ashton Rios who qualified in Program Oral Interpretation (POI), Freshman Coltrane Drexler who qualified in United State Extemporaneous Speaking (USX), and Freshman Joseph Garza who qualified in both Foreign Extemporaneous Speaking and Congressional Debate! Congratulations to these fine students for a job well done.
The PHS wrestling team competed in the district tournament this past weekend. 5 boy wrestlers and 1 girl wrestler qualified for the regional tournament in San Antonio next weekend: Connor Montenegro 2nd place, Daniel Atta 3rd place, Sean Willimon 4th place, Nick Avila 4th place, Joe Nunez 5th place, and Julie Cano 5th place! Congratulations to all and good luck next weekend in San Antonio!
Last Friday, our PHS Choir students competed at the UIL Region 26 Solo & Ensemble contest. PHS took 37 soloists and 31 ensemble members. We earned a superior rating (first division) from the judges for 20 ensemble members and 11 excellent ratings. Our soloists earned 9 ratings of excellent and 27 1st division ratings, with 4 students earning the right to advance to State Solo Contest in May: Nicolas Garza, Kalyah Keggler, Anna Marting, and Sydney Moore. Congratulations to all these talented and hard working singers! Go Panthers!!
Our PHS Panther Golf Team saw success last week at the Taylor Invitational with the boys team finishing in the top ten out of 20 teams. Please congratulate Senior Golfer Alec Anzaldua who placed 15th out of 100 and Freshman Golfer Charity Svanda who finished 10th out of almost 75 participants.
Pflugerville Continues to show their Panther Power!Posted by Heike Cook on 2/9/2018
- Our PHS Panther Golf Team saw success last week at the Taylor Invitational with the boys team finishing in the top ten out of 20 teams. Please congratulate Senior Golfer Alec Anzaldua who placed 15th out of 100 and Freshman Golfer Charity Svanda who finished 10th out of almost 75 participants.
- Congratulations to our PHS Powerlifters Matthew Reiff who placed first in the 165 weight class and Amir Wiley who placed first in the 198 weight class! Both boys are in the top 12 in the region for their respective weight class right now.
- Special shout out to our 13-6A All District Football Qualifiers Casey Washington, Jace Wooten, Da'Jan Henderson, and Jaedon Proctor! You were chosen not just for your playing ability but because you represented the Pflugerville Panthers with Pride!
Update on H Hall Precautionary Evacuation (2/7/2018)Posted by Heike Cook on 2/7/2018
Students in the H Hall were evacuated today due to a heavy odor during their 4th period. Please know that this was strictly a precaution and the students were never in danger. The Fire Department was dispatched and found no cause for the odor. We released the students back to the H hall at approximately 4:10 pm in order for them to retrieve their belongings at the end of the day.
Thank you to all the students and staff that evacuated in an orderly fashion and allowed us to ensure the safety of all!
Have a Great Panther Day!
The Panther Palooza Continues!!!!Posted by Heike Cook on 2/7/2018
PHS FCCLA had a great regional competition this past weekend! Results are below.
* Chapter in review display occupational- Ailani Elizondo and Ferhana Ahmed 1st place
* Chapter Service Project Portfolio Occupational- Kiara Murphy, Tayanna Clark and Daisia O’Neal 1st place
* Career Investigation Occupational- Fudia Dumbuya 3rd place
* Interior Design Occupational- Maia Fiske 4th place
* National Program in Action Occupational- Evelyn Walline 4th place
* National Programs in Action Senior- Iqra Mogul and Karissa Hickman 3rd place
* Recycle Redesign Occupational- Jessette Carty 1st place
Diego Carlson's sculpture "Don't Tread on Me" placed 3rd last Saturday at the Austin Rodeo's Youth Western Art Show. To our knowledge, he was the only PfISD student to place in any of the 4 categories! Congratulations Diego!
GIRLS BASKETBALL - DISTRICT CHAMPS
The girls have finished district play with a tough win over Cedar Ridge last night. This win put the girls in first place for district..
The girls basketball team will play Manor High School in their bi-district playoff game Monday at 7pm at Stony Point High School. If you want to ride the fan bus, the sign-up sheet will be in the front office. YOU MUST SIGN UP BY LUNCH ON FRIDAY TO BE ABLE TO GO! The bus will leave at 5:50 Monday, and it will be in front of the gym. The bus is free, and admission is $2 for students. If you have any referrals, you will not be able to go. Come support your panthers! Students and faculty welcome.
Come out to support the girls.
It's A Panther Palooza! - Exciting things happening at PHSPosted by Heike Cook on 2/5/2018 9:00:00 AM
What an exciting weeked PHS had! Please see below of all the exciting news:
PHS Auto competed in the Skills USA contests this last weekend.
* Graysen Wall 1st Place Automotive Service Technology Hands On
* PHS 1st Place Automotive Service Technology Quiz Bowl TEAM MEMBERS: Graysen Wall, Austin McFaddin, Gage Troxell, Alfredo Saldana and Sydney Asbury
They will all be competing at the Skills USA state contests the first week of April. Congratulations and good luck and state...
Last weekend, the UIL Journalism team competed at the Hendrickson Invitational. Please congratulate the following individuals for earning medals at the meet:
* Senior Meso Onuoha placed 1st in Editorial Writing
* Senior Ashley Onyeador placed 2nd in Editorial Writing
* Freshman Steven Marichal placed 3rd in Feature Writing
* Freshman Dominique Williams placed 6th in News Writing
* The boys relays placed 16th in the 200 Medley Relay and 15th in the 400 Free Relay. Relay members include Devon Jorgenson, Vincent Liew, Justin Schafer, Jacob Worley and Frank Trujillo Sanchez. Justin S places 13th in the 500 Freestyle.
* The girls relays placed 14th in the 200 Free Relay and 400 Free Relays. Relay members include Natalie Willis, Kayla Good, Nicole Willis and Rylee Worley. Nicole Willis placed 13th in the 200 IM and 10th in the 500 Free. Rylee Worley placed 12th in the 500 Free.
* Special congratulations to Justin Schafer who broke a 9 year old school record in the 500 Freestyle
Congrats to all PHS swimmers!
On Saturday, February 3, Frau Marks took a group of her students to compete at Sprachfest, a regional German language and culture competition at UT San Antonio. Congratulations to the following students, who qualified for the Texas State German Competition in their respective events: Audrey Higley, Sight Reading; Meghan Patrick, Digital Logo Design; Katrina Priest, Doll Costume; Shani Coppedge, Charlie Oricchio, and Jillian Hawk, Poster Design."
PANTHER DANCE TEAM
The Lady Panther Dance team traveled to New Braunfels this weekend and competed in their first contest of the season! What an outstanding job they did!
3 out of 5 team routines placed 1st.
Officer Hip hop placed 1st
Abbey Ressler and Mari Luna placed 2nd in their duet!
Drop Off and Pick Up - Your help is needed!Posted by Heike Cook on 1/30/2018
Due to concerns for the safety of our students, we ask that when dropping off or picking up you follow the guidelines listed below:
* Enter the drop off/pick up loop slowly. Continue to drive slowly while you are on school property. Keep in mind that students and visitors are trying to get to their cars and will weave in and around parked cars.
* Drop students off only in the far right lane, curb side. Pull all the way up as far as you can go.
* The middle lane should only be used for exiting. Do not stop in the midde of the lane to drop off or pick up.
* If you are needing to run in to the school, please park in the designated parking spots. Do not leave your car in the fire lane unattended.
* If you are parked in the spaces waiting for your student, please encourage them to use the cross walk and not to walk inbetween cars.
* When exiting the drop off/pick up loop please turn right only.
PHS Auto Tech Competition UpdatePosted by Heike Cook on 1/18/2018 6:00:00 PM
The auto program students competed at The JBL Central Texas District Shootout at Georgetown Eastview High School this last weekend.
Chris Adams 2nd place
Daniel Garrison 3rd place
Daniel Garrison 2nd place
Ignition System Diagnosis
Logan Wilkerson 3rd place
Graysen Wall 1st place
Graysen Wall 1st place
Component System ID
Graysen Wall 3rd place
OVERALL ADVANCED DIVISION 1st PLACE
PHS AUTO TEAM
Congratulations to all participants and good luck at the regional events February 2-3 in Waco.
- Important Safety Message
- Pfisd will have school on Monday, 2/19
- Thank you for your understanding....
- Showing Off Our Panther Pride!
- Pflugerville Continues to show their Panther Power!
- Update on H Hall Precautionary Evacuation (2/7/2018)
- The Panther Palooza Continues!!!!
- It's A Panther Palooza! - Exciting things happening at PHS